One of my colleagues, Alex Kincaid, located in Boise Idaho recently wrote a short, yet impactful e-book called, “10 Things Every Gun Owner Must Know About Deadly Force.” This is a quick read but highlights and brings some key points to light for every gun owner who might end up using their firearm for personal protection.
Alex describes the key elements in her book as something that is our own responsibility…
Owning a firearm is a personal choice. It is also a choice that carries with it specific and rare responsibilities. When you decide to own a gun for self-defense, you are making a statement that you are willing take another person’s life to protect your life or the lives of other people, perhaps the lives of your loved ones. You are also making a commitment to be safe and efficient when using the firearm, and to understand the laws that pertain to the use and ownership of your firearm.
Here is a quick list of the 10 items covered in her book…
- There is never a good reason to brandish your firearm.
- There is never a good reason to fire a warning shot.
- You are ALWAYS responsible for your firearm.
- If you own a self-defense firearm, you need to be mentally prepared to kill another person.
- Just because someone is in your house does not mean you can use deadly force to defend yourself.
- A stand your ground law allows gun owners to use deadly force rather than turn and run.
- If you keep a firearm for self-defense, you can never have too much training.
- You need to use the same ammunition as the cops and understand why.
- If you use your firearm in self-defense, YOU ARE THE VICTIM.
- You are the primary scene manager – it is your job to preserve evidence and witnesses.
I would encourage you to download it, read through it, and come back and leave any comments you have so we can all learn from each other. This is a very real issue today and the more help we can give each other the better off we will all be in the future. As she said, owing a firearm is a privilege and carries with it more responsibility than most realize.
If you have come across other articles or books that could be helpful for all of us, please let us know in the comments section as well.